- Hook: Set up who the characters are and what their starting state is; this should be the opposite state of the Resolution.
- Plot Turn I: The call to adventure; kicks off the story.
- Pinch I: Put pressure on the characters; exert pressure to force action.
- Midpoint: The characters move from reaction to action; the characters are sick of running and make a plan.
- Pinch II: Really put the pressure on the characters; make the situation as dire as possible.
- Plot Turn II: Where the characters get the last piece of info they need to save the day.
- Resolution: The characters go and do, resolving the story (either with a win or loss).
These won't be the only key points in your story, but it's a start to help you get down your major plot points.
You can find the 19-minute Writing Excuses Podcast here, and below is the first of the five-part videos on YouTube. Enjoy and happy plotting!